- 1. How do I cancel my domain name?
There are a number of ways you can cancel your domain name:
- Cancel your domain name online using your Name Holder ID and Password.
- Contact your Approved Domainz Provider and ask if they can cancel your name. It is recommended you inform them of all cancellations as they will need to cease domain name service to the name.
- Complete a cancellation form and fax to +64 4 473 4569. If you do not have access to a fax, this request can be posted to us. Please ensure that the domain name is stated on the fax, the UDAI (domain name specific password) is listed and the fax is signed by an authorised signatory. If you are unsure as to who can sign the cancellation request, and/or do not have the UDAI for the domain name, please contact our Customer Service Team on (International) +64 4 473 4567 or (NZ toll free) 0800 366 2469 or email email@example.com.
- 2. How do I change my domain name?
Each domain name registration is seen as unique, so once a name is registered it cannot be changed. If you wish to use a different domain name in the future you will need to register the new domain name and then cancel the domain name registration which is no longer required.
- 3. How do I choose a great domain name?
Ideally your domain name will reflect your businesses name, trading name or product. A large proportion of your customers may guess your domain name and type your business name or product name straight into their browser rather than find you through a search engine.
The best domain name you can have is one that is most easily identifiable and memorable for your customers.
Some things to consider are:
- Is it easy to spell?
- If you have an unusually spelt business name it may be wise to register common misspellings of your name as well and simply redirect the traffic to your main web site address e.g. 'quantas.co.nz' and 'qantas.co.nz', 'vodaphone.co.nz' and 'vodafone.co.nz'
- Is it short and easy to remember?
- Sometimes it may be a better strategy to use an abbreviated version of your name or initials e.g. 'stuff.co.nz' and 'bnz.co.nz'
- Is it easily differentiated from similar business/product names?
- If your business or product name is very similar to another organization you need to choose a web site address that won't confuse your customers. If you do not have a well known brand or product then a generic address may be the best choice for you e.g. 'auckland-plumbing.co.nz'
- How will your customers most likely try to find you?
- In many cases your customers may know your products or nickname better than your business name so that may be a better choice e.g. 'amex.co.nz' or 'americanexpress.co.nz'
- Where are your primary markets?
- If a substantial proportion of your current or prospective business comes from specific national markets, you should consider registering domain names in those markets e.g. com.au in Australia, .cn in China, and so on...
- Do a search and see if your preferred domain name is available
- Once you've decided on the name you want, use our free domain name search tool to see if it's still available. Simply enter 'yourcompanyname' and click on 'Search'. If the name you want is already registered, will need to choose an alternative. You may like to try the net.nz version or even consider a domain registration in another global address such as .com or .net - and if you're not sure we suggest you contact our consultants to take you through your options.
- 4. How do I enable / disable private registration for a domain name?
Simply call our Customer Service Team on 0800 366 2469 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request this service.
- 5. How do I reactivate a cancelled domain name?
Cancelled domain names sit in a holding pool for 90 days. Anytime during these 90 days the listed Name holder can request the name to be reactivated.
For a domain name to be reactivated the following must occur:
- Any previously outstanding fees must be paid
- A reactivation fee per domain name applies
- 6. How do I register a domain name?
Domainz provide 3 different ways to register your domain name.
- Register online at www.domainz.net.nz using Domainz' secure, real-time domain name search and registration system. Enter 'yourcompanyname' in the domain name search box and click on 'Search'. Our step-by-step registration wizard will take you through the rest!
- Register over the phone with Domainz Customer Service. Call us on 0800 366 2469 to secure your online brand.
- If it suits your business, you can also submit your domain name registration by post or fax. Simply print and complete our Fax-Post Registration Form.
When you register directly with Domainz you will be able to use either our free basic Web and Email Services, which include a website placeholder, basic web redirection and email forwarding services, or our full Web and Email Packages.
- 7. How do I register a .us domain name with domainz?
Simply use our Country Code Domain Names (ccTLD) search and registration service to secure your name online immediately.
- 9. How do I transfer my domain name to domainz?
Either complete an online transfer in request or contact our Online Solutions Team. We will do all the processing for you.
For .nz domain names, you will need to let us know the Unique Domain Authentication ID (UDAI) for each domain name.
For gTLD domain names, you may prefer to download and complete our TLD Transfer Form and then fax it back to us.